Associations Focus: CEDIA Offers Education OpportunitiesWHICH CEDIA UNIVERSITY OFFERINGS ARE RIGHT FOR YOU? Hoping to select the best education for your business but having trouble knowing what to look for? 11/01/2008 8:00 AM Eastern
Associations Focus: CEDIA Offers Education Opportunities
Nov 1, 2008 12:00 PM
WHICH CEDIA UNIVERSITY OFFERINGS ARE RIGHT FOR YOU?
Hoping to select the best education for your business but having trouble knowing what to look for? CEDIA University offers a broad range of education opportunities for professionals at all levels of experience. But for anyone new to the association's education program, a guide to these offerings can be the key to selecting the best course of study for you and your employees.
CEDIA University consists of five colleges: Electronic Systems Technician (EST), Electronic Systems Designer (ESD), Electronic Systems Customer Relations (ESCR), Electronic Systems Business (ESB), and Electronic Systems Project Management (ESPM). These five colleges represent a total of nearly 200 courses, all built by subject-matter experts with decades of combined experience in the industry. CEDIA University's curriculum is delivered both regionally and at the state-of-the-art training facility at CEDIA's Indianapolis headquarters.
The curriculum is complemented by a robust certification program, which consists of three exams — Installer Level I, Advanced EST, and Designer — that were also created by veteran subject-matter experts and designed to represent to clients and peers that the certification holder possesses a designated skill set. Certification exams are also offered both regionally and at CEDIA headquarters.
So where do you begin finding the education best suited to your business? Read on for an introduction:
- CEDIA University (CU) on the Road. CU on the Road was created in response to the demand for regionalized education across the United States and Canada. These events, which are usually hosted at manufacturers' facilities, combine the most popular courses from CEDIA's ESD and EST curricula with full-day workshops, certification exams, and free product training from the hosting manufacturer. CU on the Road events allow attendees to pursue their professional development goals at various times throughout the year while reducing the burden of long-distance travel.
- Boot Camp. CEDIA's EST Basic Residential Boot Camp and EST Advanced Residential Boot Camp offer three days of immersive training at CEDIA's training facility. The courses combine classroom education with hands-on training in custom-built home-theater labs designed to simulate the jobsite environment. The Basic course serves industry newcomers, including those with less than one year of experience and those transitioning from a related industry. The Advanced course caters to those with a few years' experience looking to transition into a lead technician role.
- Intensive training workshops. CEDIA University offers a full roster of workshops created and presented by industry experts to support every facet of your business. Choose from courses on acoustics, business operations, retrofit, and more. Most workshops last one full day and are held both at CEDIA headquarters and at various locations in the United States and Canada.
- e-Learning. For those looking to increase their training frequency without increasing their travel budget, e-Learning offers a growing list of popular CEDIA University curriculum adapted for effective web-based delivery. e-Learning includes two options to serve all learning styles: an on-demand series of EST and ESD courses that use state-of-the-art simulation technology and post-course assessments to ensure retention, and archived sessions (representing all five colleges) from CEDIA's summer 2008 instructor-led webinar series.
- CEDIA Expo. The residential-electronic-systems industry's premier tradeshow is also the most comprehensive source for industry education. Take advantage of CEDIA's full library of courses and workshops during the weeklong event. Watch CEDIA's website for information on CEDIA Expo's 2009 visit to Atlanta, where the association will celebrate its 20th anniversary.