POV: Go Green
Jun 8, 2009 12:00 PM,
Provided by InfoComm International
Earlier this year, the InfoComm International board of directors appointed members to serve on an InfoComm International Green AV Task Force. These members include Midori Connolly, Pulse Staging and Events; Paul Depperschmidt, Polycom; Brian Huff, Acentech; Kirk Muffley, The Whitlock Group; Howard Nunes, PepperDash Technology; Peter Pekurar, Christie Digital Systems; Byron Tarry, AVW-TELAV; and Scott Walker, Waveguide Consulting.
The group immediately went into action to promote the importance of sustainability issues to the future of the industry. It is hosting a Green AV Mixer at InfoComm 09 to share some of its work and to identify others in the industry who are interested in promoting green AV. This free event is sponsored by Christie Digital.
One of the first tasks undertaken by the Green AV Task Force was identifying a series of steps AV companies can take to reduce their carbon footprint. These improvements can be made by making changes to ways companies in the AV industry manage their people, workplace, and products and services. Below are the group’s suggestions for leading a more sustainable AV future.
InfoComm’s Green AV Task Force has produced a free poster that you can hang in your office delineating all of the different ways you and your company can go green. To request your copy, please contact [email protected]. Let’s all do our part to promote sustainability.
Steps for a More Sustainable AV Future
Changing your people
- Engage a green team of volunteers
- Appoint a company green leader
- Use mass transportation
- Educate others to raise environmental awareness
- Join the InfoComm Green AV special-interest group on the InfoComm Community site
- Promote green in our industry
- Join your local Green Building Council
- Become a LEED Accredited Professional
- Use AV to reduce paper consumption and travel
- Reduce, reuse, recycle.
Changing your workplace
- Create an environmental policy
- Acknowledge and reward sustainable behavior
- Start an ewaste recycling or donation program
- Get your office LEED certified
- Sponsor an environmental workday
- Become a carbon-neutral company
- Deploy energy-efficient lighting solutions
- Become ISO 14001 certified
- Audit energy usage and sources.
Changing your products and services
- Focus on sustainability in your products and services
- Reduce waste in manufacturing and delivery
- Conserve energy in all that you do
- Favor suppliers who support sustainability
- Support industry standards
- Earn a LEED innovation credit
- Qualify for U.S. EPA or BS8901 green AV standards for meetings and events.
InfoComm International is a trade association representing the professional audiovisual industry.