New USB Peripheral Switch Delivers Security, Convenience and Control among Multiple Computers with Different Networks at Different Security LevelsA
PLAYA VISTA, CA – A
, a trusted leader of technology solutions for office, classroom, IT infrastructure, and mobile environments, today introduced the Belkin Advanced Secure USB Peripheral Switch that uniquely enables users to securely share any USB device on up to four different computers with different networks at different security levels. The new switch was designed and tested to support the widest variety of USB devices, including smart card readers, cameras, thumb drives, USB controllers and more. In tandem with Belkin’s patent-pending desktop controller unit, the USB Switch improves usability, situational awareness, and security.
Belkin’s Advanced Secure USB Peripheral Switch is configurable through an easy-to-use and password-protected application, ensuring that only authorized IT personnel have access to defined settings. It enables IT departments to assign a specific USB device access to only some of the computers connected to it, allowing a more exact and secure USB device policy. The switch is able to filter USB devices based on a detailed scheme with rules that allow or block USB devices based on specific, user-defined parameters without using software.
The switch is equipped with a designated port supporting the Belkin Advanced Secure Desktop Controller Unit (DCU). With an easy and intuitive user interface, the secure DCU enables browsing through available networks and a clear indication of selected channels through numbers, as well as programmable text and colors. In order to ensure the highest level of protection, the Advanced Secure Peripheral Switch is equipped with an end-to-end tamper-proof packaging system that prevents physical tampering, as well as color chips and name labels to reduce user-switching errors by providing clear identification.
Key features of the Advanced Secure USB Peripheral Switch include:
- USB Device Filtering – The USB device filtering is based on a detailed scheme with the ability to create up to 32 rules that allow or block USB devices based on class, subclass, protocol, serial number, VID and PID.
- No Shared Resources – The switch is designed to securely operate even when peripheral devices are vulnerable to signaling attacks. The switch does not allow computer access to any shared resource and does not share controllable power sources.
- Assign USB Devices to Specific Computers – The switch enables users to assign a specific or type of USB device only to some of the computers connected to it – or block others – allowing a more exact and secure USB device policy.
- Wide Variety of USB Support – The switch was designed and tested to support the widest variety of USB devices.
- Hot Swap USB Devices – The switch allows hot swapping of USB devices while still connected to the target computers. This enables organizations to create multiple USB device rules, allowing the users to share different devices in a single configuration.
- Easy-to-Use, Password-Protected Configuration Application – The switch is configurable through an easy-to-use application that can be password-protected, ensuring that only authorized IT personnel can configure the device.
- DCU (Desktop Controller Unit) Support – The switch supports the patented Belkin Advanced Secure DCU to enable easy and intuitive KVM operation, remotely at the user’s desk. Channel names may be programmed into the DCU display to improve usability, situational awareness and security.
- Increased Reliability – Using a new, advanced, 25-year anti-tampering battery with an extremely low self-discharge rate, the life expectancy of the switch has been increased dramatically making it the most reliable Advanced Secure USB Peripheral Switch on the market today.
“Until now, USB device access was controlled by software running on the computer which meant it could be hacked or modified. A USB device not issued by an agency can infect the computer system and network which can be used to inject malicious software, for example,” said Luis Artiz, director of product management, Business Division, Belkin International. “Now with the new USB Peripheral Switch and Belkin DCU, end users can access authorized USB peripherals on their desktops while ensuring network security. And for government agencies and financial institutions, where security is paramount, deploying a hardware-based solution is critical.”
Belkin delivers the necessary components for workstation security, as well as every essential accessory and peripheral device to provide a complete, efficient, productive workstation that meets the demands of government use. For more information visit:
@BelkinBusiness Secure USB Peripheral Switch Delivers Security, Convenience & Control for Multiple Computers with Different Security Levels
About Belkin Business
Belkin Business, a division of Belkin International, offers technology solutions for office, classroom, IT infrastructure, and mobile environments. A proven technology leader for more than 30 years, organizations worldwide trust Belkin for its unwavering commitment to product quality, and expertise in creating solutions designed to address customer requirements in business, government and education. With a global supply chain and broad provider network, Belkin commands a purchasing power that delivers greater value and unparalleled execution advantages to customers. The company’s line of commercial products are available through Belkin’s global network of distributors and resellers. Headquartered in Playa Vista, California, the company is represented in more than 25 countries and can be found on the Web at
Tags: government security, cyber security, cyber attack, cyber threat, peripheral security, USB security, network security