Only Solution Available that Enables the Secure Use of Web Cameras in Computing Environments where Classified or Sensitive Information is Exchanged
PLAYA VISTA, CA –
, a trusted leader of technology solutions for office, classroom, IT infrastructure, and mobile environments, today unveiled the Belkin Secure Web Camera Adapter, the only solution available that enables the use of standard USB web cameras in computing environments where classified or sensitive information is presented. The new Secure Web Camera Adapter includes a host of security features, including anti-tampering mechanism in the outside packaging, one-time programmable (OTP) protected firmware, and complete isolation of the USB circuit from the computer.
Using web cameras in a secure environment may cause a security breach if not properly protected. Intruders can exploit computers that are non-secure as a result of web cameras that can view and eavesdrop on conversations, without users being aware that the camera is on and active.
To avoid these potential breaches, Luis Artiz, director of product management, Business Division, Belkin International, said that the Belkin Secure Web Camera Adapter is the only product of its kind in the market, enabling the use of web cameras in environments where security or confidentiality are critical. “Belkin’s Secure Web Camera Adapter is the perfect security solution for environments where computers are present and video calls are used to exchange confidential information,” said Artiz. “It is well-suited for boardrooms, offices, defense, the military, and other areas where sensitive conversations take place.”
The Belkin Secure Web Camera Adapter is designed to connect and disconnect a web camera and other USB audio devices at the press of a button. Unlike other adapters, the Belkin web camera adapter makes it very clear to the user when the web camera is active and provides warning before deactivating through a lighting and flashing system. If desired, the user is then able to extend the web camera’s activation period through a simple push of a button.
The Belkin Secure Web Camera Adapter is easy andA intuitive to operate, and should be used whenever webA cameras are used in boardrooms, offices, and otherA areas where sensitive conversations take place.
Key features of the Secure Web Camera Adapter include:
- Automatic Timer Mechanism – The timer functionality combined with intuitive LED lights indicate when the camera is active and when the user must press a button to extend the video call if desired; a disconnect button allows the user to immediately disconnect the camera when necessary.
- Easy Integration and Operation – the adapter operates with two simple buttons, with clear visual indicators of operation and approaching cut-off; it is easily connected with a standard USB port, including the supplied cable.
- Advanced Security Features – the isolated independent microcontroller cannot be hacked, reprogrammed or tampered with, and all firmware is stored on a non-programmable ROM.
- Anti-Tamper Protection – Secure and rugged housing, an active anti-tamper mechanism, non-programmable firmware, and tamper-evident packaging and label ensure that the adapter remains secure in transit at all times.
- Increased Reliability – the adapter’s simple hardened design, and low self-discharge anti-tamper battery, provide years of reliable usage.
- Interoperability and Operating System Independent – supports all USB web cameras, requiring only the web camera driver software on the connected computer, and all Windows, iOS, LInux ad Chrome operating systems that support the web camera software.
Belkin delivers the necessary components for workstation security, as well as every essential accessory and peripheral device to provide a complete, efficient, productive workstation that meets the demands of government use. For more information visit:
@BelkinBusiness Secure Web Camera Adapter Enables Secure Use of Webcams where Classified or Sensitive Information is Exchanged
About Belkin Business
Belkin Business, a division of Belkin International, offers technology solutions for office, classroom, IT infrastructure, and mobile environments. A proven technology leader for more than 30 years, organizations worldwide trust Belkin for its unwavering commitment to product quality, and expertise in creating solutions designed to address customer requirements in business, government and education. With a global supply chain and broad provider network, Belkin commands a purchasing power that delivers greater value and unparalleled execution advantages to customers. The company’s line of commercial products are available through Belkin’s global network of distributors and resellers. Headquartered in Playa Vista, California, the company is represented in more than 25 countries and can be found on the Web at
Tags: government security, cyber security, cyber attack, cyber threat, peripheral security, web camera security, webcam security, audio security, network security