Pop Quiz: July 2006Test Your Knowledge Of Pixel Resolutions 7/29/2006 7:06 AM Eastern
Pop Quiz: July 2006
Test Your Knowledge Of Pixel Resolutions
- A 1080i display and a 720p display will have about the same pixel resolution.
- One pixel measures 0.48 mm in diameter.
- HDTV is always defined by 1920x1080 pixels.
- The resolution of current motion picture film exceeds 4,000 lines.
1. TRUE. With a 1080i system, there are 1,920 pixels on each line with a total image resolution of 1920x1080, which is a little more than 2 million pixels. In the 720p system, there are 1,280 pixels on each line with a total image resolution of 1280x720, or 921,600 pixels. However, in the same time interval that one-half of a 1080i image is shown, the entire 720p image, or just less than 1 million pixels, will be scanned.
2. FALSE. A pixel has no standard physical size. The physical size of a pixel depends on the resolution and physical size of the display or image area itself.
3. FALSE. 1280x720 pixels in a 720p system also defines “high definition” (see No. 1 above).
4. TRUE. Kodak Vision 200T color negative film 5274 is specified by Kodak to exceed 4,000 lines of resolution horizontally across the frame. Independent tests by the ITU (International Telecommunications Union) have confirmed that this resolution is captured on the negative.