Director, Hardware System Engineering
SYNG is seeking a dedicated and experienced engineering leader to join a team of electronic design, acoustic design, and verification test engineers that are defining the future of audio systems. The leader will be responsible for driving hardware system architecture, strategic component technology selection, digital design, mixed signal design, wireless module/antenna integration, design verification, release processes and integration with acoustic and mechanical design teams. A deep understanding of specification, design, analysis, build, test and manufacturing of electronic systems is essential in this role. You will work closely with industrial design, mechanical engineering, acoustic engineering, software engineering, supply chain, contract manufacturers, and suppliers to build, integrate, verify, and certify system electronic assemblies for consumer audio systems. A passion for collaboration, building teams, mentoring engineers, design integrity and results are essential
- Lead audio system architecture definition, including SoC, memory, power management, wireless technologies, antenna design, audio inputs/outputs, power conversion, user interface controls, power supply and amplifiers.
- Drive technology survey, research, roadmapping, and prototyping with focus on system integration and unique differentiation of user experience
- Define product electronic specification, revision and alignment with company, market, and cost/price objectives
- Drive digital and mixed signal board design and integration with acoustic and mechanical system design with cross-functional design reviews
- Responsible for design process definition, including design tools, simulation tools, verification test methodologies to achieve performance, reliability and manufacturability objectives
- Oversee hardware lab planning/management including layouts, tools, equipment, maintenance, and calibration
- Coordinate EMC design, pre-scanning, compliance testing, reporting, and regulatory certifications in accordance with product market requirements
- Coordinate Safety design, compliance testing, reporting, and certifications in accordance with product market requirements
- Oversee industrial standard compliance testing, including WFA, Bluetooth SIG, HDMI, and consumer technology platform certifications
- Staff and develop an exceptional team of electronic system and firmware engineers with a passion for audio products, technologies, and user experience.
- Future travel to supplier manufacturing locations
- Extensive knowledge of embedded system technologies including SoCs, SoMs, memory/storage, peripheral interfaces (UART, USB, I2C, SPI), digital audio (TDM, I2S, S/PDIF, HDMI ARC/eARC), wireless (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, UWB), power converters, and more
- Demonstrated prototyping skills using EVKs, custom board designs, and tools to support early hardware and software development efforts
- ECAD tools experience (Altium, Ansys, simulation tools)
- Working knowledge of power supply and amplifier designs for audio systems
- Working knowledge of firmware design for microcontrollers, manufacturing system self-test, and design verification testing
- System debugging experience utilizing JTAG, logic analyzers, oscilloscopes, multi-meters, audio signal analyzers, custom test boards, IR imaging, etc.
- Experience with failure analysis techniques and methods including optical microscopy, X-Ray, SEM, EDS, and FTIR
- Project management experience, problem solving tools including design of experiments (DOE), statistical analysis, failure probability prediction
- Strong teamwork skills and ability to operate independently, set objectives, prioritize tasks, and drive issues to closure across engineering teams and suppliers
Education & Experience
- B.S. or M.S. Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or equivalent fields, with M.S. preferred.
- 8+ years of experience in system electronic design, including demonstrated team leadership